3.27.2010

Welcome!

Welcome to our family food blog. I'm a mom of two kids, married to a wonderful husband, and we're trying to eat healthier. I'm experimenting with more homemade foods, a garden, new recipes, and whatever else I can think of to get away from the processed, pre-packaged foods.

I am hoping to do this not only so that we eat healthy but to teach my kids what it means. My husband and I are both mid-western people, meat and potatoes were our thing. We've changed dramatically, trying new things, but still have way to go.

I've been thinking about this for awhile now and am not sure that I really need one more thing to do, but I think keeping track of what works, what doesn't, what we like and don't like, and the recipes together in one place might be beneficial.

After watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution this week (my kids will never eat school lunch!) I took a look at what I've been feeding my kids: chicken nuggets, ravioli, spaghetti o's, hot dogs, fish sticks, mac and cheese...UGH! That's horrible! It's just that we're usually gone to the gym and playgroup activities all morning and by the time we get home the kids are starving and I don't have the time, or rather don't take the time, to make something homemade or more healthy. It's much easier to have the food in the freezer/fridge and just nuke it and eat it. But I don't feed myself that way so why do I feed my kids that way?

So after thinking over the last few days I'm going to at least try to do better. I'm hoping to find more homemade recipes for the foods they like and find a way to make them so that my picky kids will eat them. I'm also going to be working in new things for the family as a whole, not just my kids, so stay tuned and I hope you enjoy the journey with the Naves!

No comments:

Post a Comment