5.26.2010

Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti

This is one of those recipes I found in a cookbook when we were first married and it became one of my husband's favorite meals, as well as a good go-to meal when I needed something quick and easy. You basically throw it all together and put it in the oven for 15 minutes. Simple!

Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti

9 oz uncooked spaghetti
1 c frozen chopped onion
1 Tb bottled minced garlic
2 (14.5 oz) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1 Tb low sodium worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
3 c chopped, cooked chicken

Preheat oven to 350. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain.

Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot. Add onion and garlic; saute 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, seasoning, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Stir in 1 cup cheese, cooked spaghetti, and chicken. Spoon into a 3 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake for 15 minutes. Yields: 6 servings, 1 1/3 cups each.










What I do differently:
--use one can of mild rotel instead of stewed tomatoes
--use fresh onion
--use a little more pasta
--add about a cup or so of spaghetti sauce just for a little more moisture, it seems kind of dry
--this time I added about a cup or cup and a half of pureed broccoli because I'm trying to sneak in veggies for my son. We decided to give up battling him to eat one bite at mealtime and just hide them. You couldn't even tell in this recipe and he even cleaned his plate!
--I also split this into two 8x8 dishes so I could freeze one because a 9x13 is just too much for us. But just reheating it should be fine and the pasta shouldn't be too mushy or runny I don't think.

2 comments:

  1. Found you from Welcome Wednesday! LOVE THE BLOG! :)

    ♥fashionintheforest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am here from Welcome Wednesday! Alwasy excited to find more great recipe ideas.

    ReplyDelete