5.27.2010

Lowfat Banana Bread

This is my go-to banana bread recipe but today I added in some sauteed spinach since I've been trying to sneak in veggies for my son. The batter did look a little grean but luckily once it was baked it looked normal. I only added about 2 tablespoons so it wasn't much but I guess it's better than nothing. I wasn't sure how spinach would work so I didn't want to overdo it.

This makes two loaves so I'll freeze one. It freezes wonderfully and lasts a couple months in the freezer.



















Lowfat Banana Bread
1 1/4 cups sugar (I cut back on this just a tad)
1/2 c butter or stick margarine, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2 c mashed very ripe bananas, about 3 medium
1/2 c buttermilk (I just used skim)
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 c all purpose flour (I used whole wheat)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 c chopped nuts, if desired

Move oven rack to lowest position so tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat over to 350. Grease bottoms only of 2 loaf pans, 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 OR one loaf pan, 9 x 5 x 3 inches, with shortening. (I just spray with cooking spray)
Mix sugar and butter in large bowl. Stir in eggs until well blended. Stir in bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla; beat until smooth. Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt just until moistened. Stir in nuts. Divide batter evenly between pans.
Bake 8 inch loaves about 1 hour, 9 inch loaf about 1 hour 15 minutes. (I baked both of mine together for 1 hour 10 minutes and they came out perfect...slightly crunchy outside and moist inside.) Cool 10 minutes in pans on wire rack.
Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans and cool completely, about 2 hours, before slicing. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days or in refrigerator up to 10 days.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Thanks for visiting me and commenting on my pasta tutorial. Banana bread and banana cake are real favourites in my home, your spinach idea is a good one! I often make a zucchini cake too, I'll have to blog the recipe, it's just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete