5.13.2010

Seasoned Black Beans

I planned to make seasoned black beans to go with tacos last night and decided to try my first experience with dry beans. I saw a vlog over on Lynn's Kitchen Adventures on cooking them in a crockpot so I decided that was probably the easiest way to do it.

First you pick them clean. Check for any rocks or odd looking beans. My son really enjoyed this part!








Then you place them in your slow cooker, or a bowl, and cover them with water. Let soak 7 to 9 hours or overnight.




Drain and rinse.

Place in crockpot (or on stove). Wait until the end to season them.

Fill with water at least 2 inches above the beans. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours. I think mine were a little over cooked so watch them towards the end or they might be a little mushy.



Strain off the liquid and let cool. I then put about 2 1/2 cups in the freezer and used another 1 1/2 to 2 cups for dinner that night. I froze mine without any seasoning so I could use them in other things.




For dinner last night I made Seasoned Black Beans, also from Lynn's Kitchen Adventures. I'm on a diet and couldn't eat them but I did sneak a couple bites, to at least check the flavor. I also did a couple things differently, because of what I had on hand and my family's tastes. But they turned out pretty good and I will be making them again.

Seasoned Black Beans

2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained (or use cooked dried beans)
1 clove garlic minced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons oil
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

In a pan cook and onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add oregano and cumin and cook over low heat for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add black beans and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring often, to allow flavors to blend. Add chopped cilantro and lime juice, stir and serve.












My cilantro ended up being bad so I didn't get to use that and I think that would have made a big difference. Instead I added a little shredded cheddar for a little more taste and I think that made it really good. This was also my first time using cumin and I love it! Great flavor.

Black Bean

1 comment:

  1. Would love to try this!Helpful photo tutorial too!If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete