5.30.2010

Oatmeal Breakfast Bars

These turned out pretty well for a nice, fairly healthy breakfast. I used more applesauce than oil so they tasted kind of fruity, which wouldn't have been bad if I had put dried fruit in it. But I only had a few chocolate chips so that's what I used and I wasn't fond of the apple taste and the chocolate. Next time I'll remember and I think they'd be even better.


Oatmeal Breakfast Bars

4 c dry oats (old fashioned or quick cooking)
1 1/2 c flour
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c to 1 c canola oil (I used 1/4 cup oil and 1/2 c applesauce)
4 eggs
1 1/2 c raisins or other add-ins

Dump all ingredients in large mixing bowl. Sitr, by hand, just until completely moistened and combined. Press into a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish and bake at 350 fr 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting into individual bars.

Some notes:
~ This has been made before with 3/4 cup of oil so you could cut back a little if you wish.
~ These bars freeze wonderfully. I usually wrap the cooled and cut bars individually and then freeze. They can be thawed in about 2 hours, or if you're in a hurry, cook in the microwave on defrost for about 20 to 30 seconds, depending on the size of your bars.



My bars ready for the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment