10.27.2010

Double Decker Tacos

I don't eat tacos often.  I enjoy crunchy shells the most but they made too much of a mess and break all apart so I never eat those unless I make a taco salad.  And I'm just not a fan of soft shelled tacos.  But this combination was wonderful!  I think the reason I liked these is that the meat had a great flavor.  I added more veggies to the meat, zucchini, yellow squash, red pepper, and red onion, just to get some veggies in for the hubby and because I like them.   I would definitely recommend this if you like tacos.  I ate two of them and really wanted to go back for more!

Double Decker Tacos

8 hard taco shells
8 corn tortillas (we used flour tortillas cut to size)
2 cups refried beans, warmed
1 lb ground beef
1 onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tb all purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1 tsp chili powder
dash black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp brown sugar
tapatio or other hot sauce, to taste
shredded lettuce
shredded cheddar cheese
diced tomatoes

Cook beef with onion and garlic.  Drain well and return to pan.  Toss meat with tablespoon of flour.  Stir in water, seasonings, brown sugar, and hot sauce.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and breaking any large chunks of beef into smaller bits.

Heat a griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat.  Lightly spray or drizzle with a little oil and cook corn tortillas until lightly browned on both sides (1-2 minutes per side)

Evenly spread about 1/4 cup of warmed beans over a cooked corn tortilla.  Place a hard taco shell inside and wrap tortilla so the beans are a layer between the hard shell and soft tortilla.

Fill with meat mixture, lettuce, cheese, and tomatoes.

This post is linked to:
What's Cooking Wednesday at Turning the Clock Back
Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Recipe Swap Thursday at Prairie Story
Tip Day Thursday at Around My Family Table

4 comments:

  1. What a way to have the best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great idea! I'm looking forward to giving your recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so smart...crunch and able to stuff it full to the brim without the worry. thanks for the great idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great combination and I love the crunchiness. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete