4.06.2010

Sweet or Savory Breadsticks

I can't remember where I found this one so I can't give credit where it's due. Sorry!

6 cups whole wheat flour + some for kneading
1 1/2 T dry yeast
2 T honey
2 tsp salt
3 T olive oil
2 1/2 cups warm water

Dissolve yeast in warm water.
Add remaining ingredients and make soft dough. Allow to rise until doubled (30 minutes), punch down.
Toppings:
1/4 cup melted butter and/or garlic salt and parmesan cheese and parsley OR cinnamon and sugar

Melt 2 T butter in 9 x 13 baking dish. Roll out slightly less than half of the dough to fit pan. Place dough in pan and flip so as to butter both sides. Cut strips lengthwise and then one cut across to halve the long strips. (see pictures) Top with garlic salt, Parmesan cheese, and parsley. (OR cinnamon sugar) Allow to puff slightly and bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
Roll remaining dough into a large rectangle. Use melted butter to coat pan. Place dough in pan. Butter the top of dough and sprinkle with desired toppings. Allow to rise for a few minutes, 20-30 minutes. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

As you can see I got a little more than it said it would make. I think it was supposed to make 32 breadsticks, or two baking dishes, but I used two 9 x 13s and an 8x8 and still had enough to make five dinner rolls.

These turned out really tasty and soft. I love them. My kids do not like them but I think that's because I didn't put enough cinnamon and sugar on them, and used all whole wheat flour. Next time I'll try a mixture of whole wheat and all purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment