7.23.2010

Homemade Crackers

These are supposed to be like wheat thins, which I think they would have been close with a few changes.

I suggest not using as much oil as it calls for.  They tasted quite oily to me and I think you could use a little less and just add water to get the consistency right.

I also suggest using whole flax seed.  I just had the ground flax seed so that's what I used but I think it would make it more like a store bought cracker if you did whole seed.

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
3 Tb flax seeds
3 Tb honey
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix the whole wheat flour, wheat germ, flax seeds, and paprika.  Add the oil, water, honey, and vanilla and mix until smooth.  This is much easier if you use your hands.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Lightly grease baking sheet (which wasn't needed with the full amount of oil).  Divide the dough into 8 balls.  Take one ball and roll as thin as possible.  The thinner you get them the more crunchy they'll be.  Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt.

Put in oven for 5-10 minutes.  I tried 8 but they were still pretty chewy so I did 10 and they came out almost perfect.  You'll know when they're done when the edges are very lightly browned.  Once cool, store in air tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment