9.19.2010

Brown Rice Black Bean Casserole

Not a very original name but that's what it was called.  This one works great as a main dish or a side dish.  We enjoy it with fish and I usually double it and freeze a batch for later.  The picture doesn't make it look very appetizing but trust me, it is!  Look at all that cheesy goodness and all those yummy veggies.

Brown Rice Black Bean Casserole

1/3 cup brown rice
1 cup vegetable broth
1/3 cup diced onion
1 medium zucchini, thinkly sliced
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
1/3 cup shredded carrots
2 cups shredded swiss cheese
1 Tb olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin
salt to taste

Mix the rice and vegetable broth in a pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes or until rice is tender.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease a large casserole dish.  Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat, and cook onion.  Mix in other veggies.  Season with cumin, salt, and pepper.  Cook and stir until zucchini is lighly brown and heated through.

In large bowl, mix the cooked rice, onion, zucchini, beans, chiles, carrots, and 1/2 the cheese.  Transfer to prepared baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Cover loosely and bake 30 minutes.  Uncover and continue baking 10 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned.

Change I make:
--I used about 2 cups of beef broth and 1 1/2 cups rice for a single batch and I use instant rice.
--I used zucchini, onion, carrots, and green pepper and diced them all.  I've also added yellow squash and eggplant before.
--The original recipe called for chicken in this but I leave it out.
--I also omitted the green chilies
--I used garlic powder, salt, and pepper as my seasonings.

No comments:

Post a Comment