9.27.2010

Butternut Squash Bread

I've made butternut squash rolls before that we ate but weren't terribly excited about.  This was really good though.  My husband ate almost the entire loaf by himself!


Butternut Squash Bread

1 (.25 oz) pkg active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
1/2 cup and 2 Tb mashed, cooked butternut squash
1/2 cup warm milk (110 to 115 degrees)
1 egg, beaten
2 Tb plus 2 tsp butter or margarine, melted
2 Tb and 2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I did half white, half wheat)

In bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand 5 minutes.  Add squash, milk, eggs, butter, sugar, and salt; mix well.  Gradually add 3 1/2 cup flour; beat until smooth.  Add enough remaining flour to form soft dough.  Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.  Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top.  Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.  Punch dough down.  Shape into three loaves; place in greased 8x4x2 inch loaf pans.  Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.  Bake at 375 degrees fr 25-30 minutes or until tops are golden.  Remove from pans and cool on rack.

**I only got two loaves out of this but I had one larger pan.  I also froze one of them for later.

This post is linked to:
Meatless Mondays

1 comment:

  1. I love using butternut squash in anything. I am glad the bread was better than the rolls.
    Thanks for linking this up at MMM.

    ReplyDelete