9.27.2010

Tortellini Soup

The best soup ever!!  Unfortunately I'm the only one in my family who really loves this recipe.  My husband eats it because that's what's for dinner but he doesn't love it.  And my kids will eat a couple bites of a tortellini but that's it.  Good think I like it enough to eat all the leftovers!

Tortellini Soup

Brown 1 lb. of Italian sausage with the casings removed.  Saute 1 chopped onion and 2 large garlic cloves.  Combine above.

Add 2 cans of chicken or beef broth
1 oz can of tomato soup
1 diced green pepper
1 sliced carrot
3/4 lb can chopped tomatoes
2 Tb basil
1 tsp oregano

Simmer 40 minutes.  Add 8 oz cheese tortellini 5 minutes before serving.  Best when soup is made ahead.  Add tortellini last.

**We aren't big fans of chunks of tomatoes so here's what I use in mine:

Jimmy Dean Italian sausage
1 can tomato soup
1 can tomato sauce
beef broth
green pepper, red pepper, carrot
onion, garlic
basil, oregano
I probably doubled the amount of tortellini

***I also make a double batch of this.  It freezes well if you make it to the point of adding the tortellini.  Then all you have to do is thaw is, get it simmering, and add the tortellini.

This post also linked to:
Mouth Watering Monday
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday

7 comments:

  1. ha ha! I made this yesterday too. So tasty. I was hoping for leftovers but Paul ate almost all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my family would love this soup. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's too bad they aren't fans. I make things like that when my hubby is away. :)

    Blessings,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a tortellini soup recipe that we all love. This one takes it up a notch with the sausage. We will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really good. I cannot wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a bummer that no one likes your favorite soup! I understand - I love oyster soup - but not my family! I still make it on occasion - just for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried it using salsa (medium heat)in place of the tomatoes and that gave it a bit of zip.

    ReplyDelete