6.20.2010

Meatball Sub Casserole

This came from the April/May 2010 issue of Taste of Home. It was pretty good, and of course freezer friendly. I would change two things: I would use less of the cream cheese mixture. I had a ton so I put it on heavily but you don't really need that much. And two, my husband requested more meatballs, and I agree that would be better.


Meatball Sub Casserole

1/3 cup chopped green onion
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
3 Tb grated Parmesan cheese
1 lb ground beef
1 loaf (1 lb) Italian bread, cut into 1 inch slices (I only used about half a loaf and it was plenty)
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 jar spaghetti sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced

In bowl combine onions, crumbs, Parmesan. Add beef and mix well. Shape into 1 inch balls; place on greased rack in a shallow pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until no longer pink.

Meanwhile arrange bread in a single layer in an ungreased 9 x 13 baking dish. Combine cream cheese, mayo, Italian seasoning and pepper; spread over bread. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella.

Combine sauce, water, and garlic; add meatballs. Pour over cheese mixture; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees, for 30 minutes, or until heated through.

1 comment:

  1. what a creative casserole!! I bet it was really tasty, and what a nice change from just meatball sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete