6.10.2010

Ham and Cheese Calzones

This is a keeper! This was extremely good. I wanted to eat more but made myself stop but I'm considering eating it for breakfast it was that good! Mostly because the bread was that good. You could put any filling in it, I just happened to do ham and cheese tonight. I'm going to try in the future:

--pizza
--bbq chicken
--chicken cordon bleu
--chicken parmesan
--meatball

And anything else I can think of because as I said...they are that good!

Ham and Cheese Calzones

1 cup water
1 Tb olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups white flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 Tb sugar
1 pkg yeast
whatever you want inside...in this case I had 10 slices of American cheese from the deli and some sliced ham from one I cooked a month or so ago and had in the freezer.
mustard, optional

Place the first 9 ingredients into bread machine on dough cycle. Once the cycle is complete, place dough on clean, floured surface. Knead into a ball. Divide into 2 balls. Further divide into 4 balls. And divide one more time into 8 little dough balls. (I took two of these balls and made them into four smaller "mini" calzones for the kids.)



Roll out the dough balls into rectangular oval-ish shapes. Place onto greased baking sheet. Place fillings onto one half of the dough. Fold the other half over filling. Pinch the edges together and crimp with fork if desired. I didn't do this for these but probably would if there were a sauce inside, like spaghetti or pizza sauce. Brush the top with some olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt.

Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown on top.

These are very freezer friendly. Freeze after baking.


No comments:

Post a Comment