6.19.2010

Sour Cream & Jam Muffins

I had some trouble with these but they taste good so I think they're worth sharing. I didn't have quite enough batter left to cover the tops so my muffin liners were wet and sticky from the jam. But I think if I had put enough batter on the top it wouldn't have done that. I'll be trying them again.

Sour Cream and Jam Muffins

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
preserves or jam of choice (I used homemade strawberry freezer jam)
additional sugar for topping, optional

Beat the butter and sugar together in mixing bowl until creamed, about 2-3 minutes. Add egg and beat until well combined.

In small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. In second small bowl or measuring cup, combine sour cream and vanilla. Add half the flour and half the sour cream mixtures to the mixing bowl and stir just until combined. Repeat with the remaining flour and sour cream, being careful not to overmix.

Grease and flour a muffin tin, or line with baking cups. Fill muffin cups 1/3 full with the batter. Add a dollop of jam or preserves on top of the batter and then top with remaining muffin batter. Sprinkle additional sugar over tops of muffins, if desired, for a crispy muffin top.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes for mini muffins, or 20-25 minutes for regular sized muffins. These muffins turn out incredibly moist and the flavors are delicate, so the jam is a perfect balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment